This survey was carried out with the accommodation costs of houses/apartments found in conducive environments or areas characterized with the usual facilities that are found in an average African city. By this, this survey did not cover rural areas (villages), please.
1) ABUJA: In terms of the cost of renting an apartment, be it flat, self-con or bed-sitter, Abuja (the main city), is a place where you really need to eat ‘bellefull’ before doing that. This can really reduce your savings to a frustrating amount! It’s in places like Maitama that you would see a one-bedroom flat that goes for 1million Naira!!! Any landlord/house agent who puts up same house for that amount in Benin-City is surely an ‘Enemy of Progress’ Are we buying the house? It’s because of this that made many residents of Abuja to move to surburbs or outskirts of the city.
2) PORT-HARCOURT: Rentage in PH City is something else. Other cities might have downscale and upscale areas, but not PH. Places like Odili road is super expensive.
3) LAGOS: I discovered that most of the mini-flats in Lagos mainland are above 300k a year. You can get this same apartment, even with better facilities and in a more serene environment, at half the price, in Akure.
4) WARRI: This would have come after Port-Harcourt but it seems as if some house owners here think everyone is scooping crude oil from the ground since it’s called the ‘Oil City’. Sometimes, mini-flats go for as high as 18k monthly!!! 3 bedroom flats in good environments can cost 480k-500k per year; sometimes, 600k.
5) ENUGU: Sometimes, a bed-sitter that’s so small to an extent where you won’t even have enough space to stretch your hands in the morning without knocking off things in your room, could go for as high as 100k-110k per year! Even places like Obiagu and Artisan!!! The rentage cost of 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom flats in places like Loma Linda/Independence Layout/GRA, can make an unemployed man die before his time.
6) Owerri: The Eastern heartland comes sixth on the list, some places in Owerri (not new Owerri) can go as high as 350-450k a year for Two bedroom.
7) Uyo: Uyo the capital city of Akwa Ibom can go as high as 300 thousand Naira around the suburbs not even the main town.
8) Minna: Capital city of Niger state makes this list, 400k for 3bedroom flat in the main town is much depending on income.
9) Benin: Edo state makes this list for it capital Benin, where a rent can be as high as 300k for a 2 room self cone.
10) Yenego/Akure The two cities in two different regions, one in South South the other in South West shares the same spot, this is so because of the close similarity in apartment rent.